Bloggers Unite Group (995+ members) & Bloggers Unite Book Club Group (285+ members) are on Goodreads.com

Saturday, January 1, 2011

January 2011- Book Club Selection - Therapy: A Novel by Harrie Rose

Hello Everyone,

The January 2011, Bloggers Unite Book Club selection is Therapy: A Novel by Harrie Rose. If you would like to read more about this title, please visit Harrie's blog.


About Therapy: A Novel

The Clarion Review says, "Harrie Rose's debut novel brilliantly explores the causes and effects of depression and anxiety, as well as how early experiences shape one's life for good or ill...Rose balances the intricacies of the therapist-patient relationship with a fascinating yarn about a woman recognizing the contradictory influences on her life and ultimately coming into her own....Therapy is recommended for anyone who enjoys a meaty read with a strong female protagonist." Written in a vivid first person narrative that sweeps the reader along, this bold novel introduces Barbara, a 52 year old woman who has it all. So why is she sunk in an abyss of depression? Barbara is so real that, as one reader said, "I'd love to get in a car and drive along the country roads until I find Barbara's house, so we can chat over coffee." Delving into the complexities of psychiatry, from its necessity to its folly, the author recounts Barbara's journey to a realization of her true worth. But is this because of her therapist or despite him? What are his true motives? the moral and ethical issues Barbara ultimately faces make excellent fodder for discussions. This is a superb choice for book clubs, but also for individuals. Despite the media's message that you must fight old age, Barbara proves that maturity itself has its own beauty, both inner and outer. Even the young admire her for her warmth, wisdom, and guts. Like the flowers in the gardens she grows, Barbara is reborn after a winter of despair.


About Harrie Rose

Harrie Rose is the pen name of a respected and well-known scholar in the field of linguistics as it pertains to how people use language in society, and especially the language of the mentally ill and the discourse of therapy between patient and therapist. "I'm basically a stay-at-home person. I love to watch birds from the picture window in my kitchen and keep a pair of binoculars on a hook near the dining table. I love lying on the grass in the summer and watching the hawks circling overhead. Making good food for friends and family is always a pleasure. I hike, not as much as I did when I was younger and the trails I follow aren't as steep, but I still get out in the woods near my home for a couple of hours a few days a week. Because my sense of direction is so bad, I always take my sheepdog with me and he makes sure I don't get off the trails."

No comments:

Popular Posts